Giethoorn Travel Guide: our top travel tips
Giethoorn has been one of the top Dutch cities for tourists in the Netherlands, but is it good to visit Giethoorn in Winter? Many readers asked us this question on our Instagram account. So, here we write this post about where to stay and everything you need to know for travelling in Giethoorn in Winter.
When is the best time to visit Giethoorn?
We’ve been to Giethoorn in Spring, Summer and Winter and we would say: Giethoorn is beautiful in all seasons. It’s beautiful in Summer, Spring and Winter and you see different side of it in each season. Basically, Giethoorn is a beautiful place and it looks stunning when the weather is good.
If I have to pick the best season to visit Giethoorn, then Summer is the best and then Spring. However, most people visit Giethoorn in these two seasons and it’s very crowded everywhere. In addition, you can drive a electrical boat all days except Winter.
We went to Giethoorn in Winter a few years ago and we could barely see any tourists except us. Moreover, it was freezing cold in Winter and our accommodation was far from the city center. We were almost crying on our way to the bed & breakfast. Please keep in mind to choose an accommodation close to the city center, otherwise, you would end up crying on the street.
How to get to Giethoorn by public tranportation? Any tickets?
Giethoorn is located in the North East of the Netherlands and it’s easy to get there by public transportation. However, it takes quite some time to get there. We recommend you to stay overnight in Giethoorn to enjoy the best of it.
How to visit Giethoorn by public transportation?
- Take NS train to Steenwijk Train Station
- Take bus No. 70 from Steenwijk Train Station and get off at Dominee Hylkmaweg Stop
If you plan t have day trip to Giethoorn by public transportation, highly recommend you to buy this ticket.
In this ticket, it includes:
- Return ticket to and from Steenwijk Train Station
- Bus ride between Steenwijk Train Station and Giethoorn City Center
- 60 minutes boat ride in Giethoorn
If you prefer to join local tour, please click here for more information. They are the biggest travel agency in the Netherlands and offers day trip to Giethoorn from Amsterdam every day in peak season.
Must read when travelling in Giethoorn in Winter
- Dutch Winter brings a variety of bad weather. Make sure you keep yourself warm at all times.
- Bring your scarf, gloves, sweater and down jackets with you. In short: cover yourself up as much as you can.
- If you stay one night at Giethoorn, highly recommend you stay close to the city center. Otherwise, it is freezing cold to walk in the winter, especially when it is rainy and windy.
- Many shops are closed, but supermarkets are open in Winter.
- Seize the time to walk when the sun is shining.
- Check the bus schedule, like when is the last bus, if you are on a day trip to Giethoorn.
- Daylight in winter is from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Where to stay in Giethoorn? Our recommendation
Giethoorn is surrounded by a vast of natural environment and waterways and attracts many tourists around the world. Strongly recommend you to stay overnight and enjoy your breakfast inside the traditional Dutch cottage house since this is what Giethoorn is famous for. Moreover, you can enjoy the peaceful Giethoorn in the evening when you walk around the cottage houses and along the waterway.
Our top picks for staying in Giethoorn:
We advice to stay close to the city center, so no need to walk a long way in Winter. Zone A offers the best location for visiting Geithoorn. Zone B is a bit far from the city center (around 20 min walk). They all have a good reputation:
- B&B De Mollestee Giethoorn Room nr 1. (Zone A)
- Kamer met privebadkamer aan de gracht (Zone A)
- B&B De Hofstee (Zone A)
- Vakantieparkgiethoorn (Zone A)
- B&B Heida (Zone B)
- B&B De Galeriet Giethoorn(Zone A)
You can also click here for more B&B options.
Winter in Giethoorn